I just bought a new Samsung 46″ LED SmartTV and I’m very happy.Still waiting for the real smart Apple TV, though.
The “Smart” part shows the great potential the internet+TV combo has, but it seems we will have to wait for Apple to “Get it Right”.
One thing I learned is that the TV is much better for consuming content like videos and songs on Vimeo and YouTube.
The TV comes with a wireless internet connection, integrated browser, Application store and VOD service.
The things I liked :
- Price of about $1200 including installation+delivery+ wireless + wall mount+ Israeli VAT of 17% (we have wars to finance)
- The non smart TV functionality is great – colors, lightening , connectors , etc
- Installation was very straight forward. More of an appliance style than computer style
- Having an alternate VOD with an excellent quality really shows the promise of breaking the tie of content and infrastructure providers.
- Comprehensive localization in the configuration and VOD content as well
- Vimeo is a great web site with an excellent app and high quality content
- It was fun the watch the War on Channel 10 and Ynet at the same time with PIP (Picture in Picture). Well , the war was not really fun, but you see what I mean.
The reasons why we need Apple iTV for are:
- Browser runs “Out of Memory” for the majority of web sites
- No way to change the home page from “Bing”
- Keyboard entry is extremely slow, unless you buy the wireless keyboard
- Auto Updates are cool, but why don’t they happen in the background
- Auto Updates are too frequent , almost every day
- Integration with Google,Facebook,Picasa and online identity is quite hard. Entering my password was quite a nightmare.
- YouTube is full of much junk and songs get stuck frequently
- No “Ad-Blocking” for the browser and pop-up windows consume the main screen
- The iPad remote control is not working on iOS6 (and I did not get it to work on ios5 either)
- Samsung online registration is as bad as Nokia’s PC software used to be. Early warning signs