The rumors about Apple launching a “Real” TV appliance next Month make a lot of sense.
Apple quote is “We have something you really have to see. And touch”.
- It is very easy to easy to imagine the features. Just think about a very big iPad. It needs internet access + Itunes + Applications + Local and Cloud Storage.
- There are many “Smart TV’s” around. As usual, the hardware companies jut don’t get it. The user interface is boring, the CPU is too slow, the software is limited. Just like smart phone before iPhones and touchpads before iPad (think Window Tablet for example ).
- The component prices are low enough that such an appliance can be reasonably priced.
- It might have build in Camera, making consumer Tele Presence real, for the first time.
- Apple has track record of selling large beautiful screens.
- From the business side Apple can partner with one of the Big Cable vendors to handle the “boring” stuff. The same way it saved AT&T business it can save a cable provider. Instead of fighting the internet the cable provider would get access to a new exciting high premium market. Or they can just buy NetFlix.
- Apple likes to take market away from Samsung and Sony
- Big question mark is on user interaction.Might be something like PrimeSense or maybe “Just” smart usage of iPhone\iPad people already have at home. Or maybe a new kind of control which is a hybrid of iPad and iPhone.
- I guess the stock would rise to $700 , if they do announce such an appliance
Here is an example of “Smart TV” from a company that does not “Get it”.